10 screenwriting “hmm” moments
May 18, 2014
A Few of Those Moments —
1. The pilot of a passenger jet liner rolls down the cockpit window. [For double credit, while flying. For triple? It’s not a passenger jet. It’s a submarine.]
2. Someone whips out a cell phone. In WWII Germany.
3. Someone’s picking strawberries. From a tree. In a pine forest.
4. INT. DESK — DAY [For double credit, recreate at random using INT. TABLE — DAY || INT. WOOD BLOCK — DAY. And your protagonists are not termites.]
5. Someone’s doing a Google search. In 1950. On an iPhone.
6. Doctors in an emergency room whip out defibrillator paddles. To treat a concussion. [For double credit, it’s a broken leg. For triple? She’s having a baby!]
7. Intravenously shooting up marijuana leaves….
8. Human beings without helmets or suits jump about. In an outer space vacuum.
9. People struggle with the safety. On a Glock.
10. People collect chicken eggs. On a farm. In a stable.
[I guarantee you the big fight here will be on chickens laying eggs in stables. Shhh. I will tell you why later.]