This is Helen Caldicott speaking in front of the EPA about nuclear radiation and the need to shut down the dozens of reactors in the United States that are identical to the Fukishima plant — and almost all on fault lines.
*Helen Caldicott is the author of Nuclear Power is Not the Answer.
March 24, 2011
What: You Are Cordially Invited to Unplug Your Electrical Items
When: April 15th
What Time: 9 PM Eastern Standard Time
How Long: 15 Minutes
Where: World Wide
Why: You Don’t Want to See Little Kids Fried By Nuclear Plant Radioactive Fallout
*Your time zone Eastern Standard Time: :::world clock:::
March 19, 2011
December 20, 2010
This was —
Supposed to be a top ten list. But it grew. Oops —
Fifteen Reasons Obama Sucks
2. Hey weren’t we going to close :::Guantanamo:::?
3. What is up with that closed door deal with :::Big Pharma:::? That was two months into office right?
5. Two words: Public. Option. Wait, let me rephrase: :::five health care promises candidate obama won’t keep:::
6. If the big auto bailout really worked, why can’t I find :::Detroit::: via global satellite?
7. If the bank bailout really worked, how come :::banks aren’t lending:::?
8. What was with those screaming tanks unleashed on :::Pittsburgh students:::? Aren’t those supposed to be used on “the enemy”?
9. Am I crazy or is :::putting BP in charge::: of an investigation of BP kind of like putting the lead suspect in a murder investigation in charge of the murder investigation?
10. White House beach themed parties :::during the Gulf spill:::? Genius!
11. Carbon? Wasn’t there something in there about :::carbon:::? [Sorry, so much has changed so fast my head is still kind of spinning. I guess the plan is to not block it yet?]
12. Say, didn’t a drawn out :::Russian Afghanistan occupation::: topple Russia? Or do you still think Reagan was responsible for that? Also, weren’t the Russians smart enough to get out after NINE years?
13. We all know being on TV is fun, but :::don’t you have a day job:::?
14. Being :::groped, fondled, and x-rayed naked::: for no apparent reason is one of the things we objected to in that Bill of Rights thing everyone signed here before we kicked King George to the curb. Also, :::unwarranted surveillance::: is not cool. You may not be familiar with the :::Bill of Rights::: but if you ask an aide, I am sure someone can rustle up a copy for you. Or just Google it: “Bill of Rights.”
15. :::Veterans::: came to see you this month. I guess you were busy. Your people threw 100 of them in jail. :::100 U.S. military veterans in jail!::: For fuck’s sake! What ever happened to hot chocolate?
[My kids are so not caroling at your place this Christmas.]
September 23, 2009
This is very cool. It is an —
Electronic vehicle [EV] conceptualized by Better Place and built by Renault. The effort that went into setting this up is huge, the cars require a city-wide recharge infrastructure as well as a computer component on board the vehicle. [Also they did the first smart thing I have seen anyone do in an electronic vehicle, hello, change out batteries so no sitting by the side of the road waiting on the battery to tank up, cell phone companies figured out you could do this why didn't electronic car manufacturers?] But, Better Place has pulled this off, working with the Renault-Nissan Alliance as well as it appears Microsoft and unveiled the cars at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show and is set to launch wide spread use of the vehicles [estimated 100,000 vehicles initially] in Israel and Denmark by 2016.
*btw, i am not a complete idealist, there are still probs, like, um, convincing american automobile manufacturers and city infrastructures to work putting this together, like overruling the oil companies, long kings of finance, they are dinosaurs and must step aside and brand into new energy ventures, like the fact this isn’t going to power any planes trains or trucks yet — i get all that but it is still a damn good start so don’t rain on my parade
June 22, 2008
About recycling. I separate out paper and plastics for the paper and plastics bin but the manager told me he thinks the regular trash guys just take that stuff too so I was all chagrined I was doing that if the paper and plastics bin was just faux recycling.
Pooks said well I was doing the right thing so no big deal.
That is not true though.
You have to wash out plastics to recycle them. You cannot just throw a gooey yogurt container in there. And I live in a desert. People forget Southern California is a desert but it is and all that water going down the drain? That is not springing from the ground water that is piped in shipped in water. And if I am washing out containers for a faux recycling program it is not just an issue of stuff I stick in that bin not being recycled. It is not even an issue just of me being annoyed I am wasting my time washing things out that hello are going to landfill.
It is an issue of all that water going down the drain.
Clearly i am not in enough consternation over all this Pooks posted that recycling post in January and while the recycling sitch weighs on me I am still just washing and rinsing plastic even though I know this is probably wasted water and effort I should call someone about this and find out what the real recycling sitch is — though you know they will lie to me and say sure they are recycling even if they are not. Hmm.
June 2, 2008
This is hillarious to me.
March 31, 2008
What is up with the South Pole and all that ice melting.
Doy. It is a penguin conspiracy.
Didn’t anyone see the penguin movie? Those penguins have to walk too far. In the old days, penguins did not walk that far. But penguin mating grounds are tradition and more and more ice keeps piling up and now penguins have to walk A HUNDRED MILES just for a date.
Those penguins have had enough. They are melting the South Pole.