September 28, 2014
Yes is it that time again when I announce stuff like November classes around the corner. Structural Writing and Dynamic Writing are on the horizon. I only teach Structural Writing once a year so if you want to hit that puppy before the year 2015, now is the time to sign up. See you there.
September 9, 2014
I’ve got writers flipping out over not placing in the Austin Film Festival screenplay competition.
Just stop it.
THE PURPOSE OF SCREENPLAY COMPETITIONS IS GET READS AND GET SOLD AND GET THE MOVIE MADE.
Do you need to win a competition to get a script read, a script sold, or a movie made?
August 26, 2014
July 26, 2014
Yez. I have been totally neglecting you. “But why?,” you say. “Why would you do this to us?”
Because, oh adorable fiendish followers, I have been rebuilding the school site. And it was one big job. Yegads. But it is done now, or mostly gone. Go see: :::new and improved afw site:::
But also to make up for neglecting you, here is a treat. Zombie Pie Chart! Yay!
July 10, 2014
June 7, 2014
My beautiful little office chair is trying to go poof like a :::lucky T-shirt:::
Well the edge of the seat is.
It’s not actually covered in leather, it is covered in “leatherette.”
I guess “leatherette” has a 3 year expiration date.
I’m tracking down the manufacturer to see if I can buy the little chair a new seat.
I’m looking really hard at vinyl repair kits.
Dear Universe, if you know a good way to repair “leatherette,” help!
*i am mad dependent on unchanging physical pillars in my work environment, change or move furniture and it shoots a shock wave through so hard it can shut me down for weeks — this really confuses the :::social writers:::
May 18, 2014
A Few of Those Moments —
1. The pilot of a passenger jet liner rolls down the cockpit window. [For double credit, while flying. For triple? It's not a passenger jet. It's a submarine.]
2. Someone whips out a cell phone. In WWII Germany.
3. Someone’s picking strawberries. From a tree. In a pine forest.
4. INT. DESK — DAY [For double credit, recreate at random using INT. TABLE --- DAY || INT. WOOD BLOCK --- DAY. And your protagonists are not termites.]
5. Someone’s doing a Google search. In 1950. On an iPhone.
6. Doctors in an emergency room whip out defibrillator paddles. To treat a concussion. [For double credit, it's a broken leg. For triple? She's having a baby!]
7. Intravenously shooting up marijuana leaves….
8. Human beings without helmets or suits jump about. In an outer space vacuum.
9. People struggle with the safety. On a Glock.
10. People collect chicken eggs. On a farm. In a stable.
[I guarantee you the big fight here will be on chickens laying eggs in stables. Shhh. I will tell you why later.]
May 12, 2014
Staring at lists of script titles in my immediate future with a sense of impending loathing and horror.
This is based entirely on the titles.
I have no idea what’s inside there. But the titles? Ahhh!
When this happens, I sort scripts not based on which script I want to read first — but on which script I want to read last.
This is not a good scenario for a script.
Writing is a seduction.
That seduction starts with the title.
April 19, 2014
We did the BOOK MEME. That was awesome.
We did GOING BANKSY. That was awesome.
We did TNSSG T-SHIRT PHOTOS. That was awesome.
We need to do something new and fun for the book.
One of the coolest things people used to do when the first book was out was send in photos of themselves with the book.
Here is David’s Baby Luke with the original book. Yay!
Here is Ben with the original book. Yay!
LET’S DO THAT!
Sure sure sure, “Why Facebook” you ask. Isn’t Facebook a device of the devil?
Yes, yes it is, but less a device of the devil than me trying to single handedly play catcher in the photos in email game.
Post it to the TNSSG Facebook Page. It will be great.
The Rules: We are not big on rules around here, but let’s go with no blatant nudity.
The Prizes: There will totally be prizes for cool photos but we haven’t decided what they are, you already have the book, but we have other swag and prizes so photo up, sports fans, and let’s find out what you win yay!
The Photos: Your photo does not have to be with the paperback, take a photo with you and the book on the Kindle or iPad and that flies with us.